A fast loading website is more important than ever. It leads to more conversions and a better user experience. Compressed images have a big influence on that. If you have a WordPress website and you want to speed up the loading time then the Tinify WordPress plugin might be very helpful. But what is exactly is this image compression plugin and how can it speed up your website?
Why use a WordPress plugin for image compression?
Having a lot of images on your website takes time to load. A simple way to decrease the loading time of your website is to compress the images. For websites made in WordPress, Tinify made an image compression plugin that can help you optimize your JPEG, PNG, and WebP images. This image compression plugin can automatically optimize all your images by integrating with the popular image compression services from Tinify.
Compressing images with Tinify WordPress Plugin
Each image on your website which needs to be compressed will be uploaded to the Tinify service. Your image is analyzed to apply the best possible optimization. An optimal strategy is chosen based on the content of your image. The result is sent back to your WordPress site and replaces the original image with a smaller size. On average, JPEG images are compressed by 40-60% and PNG images by 50-80% with no visible quality loss. After your images are compressed, your website loads faster and you save storage space and bandwidth!
Ways to compress images
With the plugin, you can compress existing images with either the Bulk Optimization tool or manually select them from the list. Next to that, the plugin has 3 methods of handling newly optimized images. You can have it optimized after upload, during upload, and not compress them. The last one is recommended when you are doing developments to your website and want to prevent unnecessary compressions.
Installing the Tinify WordPress Plugin
The image compression plugin is easy to install on your WordPress website, the instructions are listed on this page. The plugin allows you to compress 500 images each month for free. The exact total depends on the number of thumbnail sizes that are in use in your WordPress installation. That means that with a standard WordPress installation, you can optimize roughly 100 images each month for free. You can change which of the generated thumbnail sizes should be optimized on the Settings > TinyPNG – JPEG, PNG & WebP image compression page. Once installed you can also switch to a paid account which removes the limits and allows you to optimize as many images as you like.
This image compression plugin for WordPress offers nice features within the service. We’ve listed the extra benefits the plugin offers:
- Automatically optimize new images on upload
- Advanced background optimization to speed up your workflow
- Optimize individual images already in your media library
- Easy bulk optimization of your existing media library
- Automatically resize huge image uploads by setting a maximum width and/or height for more reasonable browser display
- Display JPEG images more quickly with progressive JPEG encoding
- Chose to preserve copyright metadata, creation date and GPS location in your original images
- Supports compression of animated PNG
- Select which thumbnail sizes of an image may be optimized.
- Multisite support with a single API key
- WPML compatible
- WooCommerce compatible
- WP Retina 2x compatible
- See your usage on the settings page and during bulk optimization
- Color profiles are automatically translated to standard RGB color
- Convert CMYK to RGB to save more space and add compatibility
- Dashboard widget with your total savings
- Optimize and resize uploads with the WordPress mobile app
Tinify WordPress Plugin in short…
The Tinify WordPress Plugin is very helpful to compress the images on your website within a few clicks. You can choose between three different compression options, just how you like it! If you have any questions about the plugin or feedback, let us know at [email protected], or find us on Twitter or Linkedin.